I'm going to make a few blog entries about the United States of America. As a forewarning, many issues I will raise will not be of a positive nature, and may subsequently piss off many people.
However, let me explain a few things. I am not anti-USA, nor do I have any hatred or racist attitudes towards America or Americans. The USA has always been, and always will be, the Land of Opportunity. The cost of living is quite low (in comparison to Europe), living standards are high, and more importantly, it offers all of its citizens the opportunity to succeed. It has a very low population, which results in vast amounts of space, beautiful countryside and scenery. America is clean, polite and inviting. It offers freedom of speech.
My brother and his family, whom I love dearly, live in California. I have visited America on a few occasions, and have been in 12 states, all diverse and quite unique. At some future stage in my life, when I have more time available to travel, I would like to plan a road trip from the east coast to the west coast, in the hope of capturing and nurturing Real America.
The author, Bill Bryson, has written various books about the USA that are quite compelling.
Without the USA, we wouldn't have the iPod. the Big Mac, apple pie, rib eye, Harley Davidson, the hot dog, peanut butter, Cadillac, Pontiac, MTV, surfing, the XBox, Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, MSN.
However, there is a flipside. Without the USA, we wouldn't have an international oil crisis, global recession, the 'war on terror', continual unrest between Israel and Palestine, Britney Spears, obesity, over indulgence, trailer trash, shopping malls, Wal-Mart, Chuck E Cheese, financial corruption and political corruption.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment